Saturday, 9 September 2017

Home made doll stands

Having bought one or two Cami dolls, and a Tyler... Oh, and a Nu Mood ballet doll (heh)  I found I had way more dolls than stands.   So getting onto Ebay I duly trawled through the available stands for this type of doll.  

I much prefer straddle stands. I seldom give the other kind any house room.   But, I was somewhat downcast to find that straddle stands cost about twenty quid a pop.

Sooo...  Yeah, you know me by now. I decided to make some.  

I bought the following:

Blank MDF coasters 10cm in diameter and 6mm thick.
Some 3mm brass tube
Some 1mm gold plated brass wire... I had in my supplies.

And here's what I did with it.    

Cut the brass tube to length with a jewellery or coping saw - fine blade -  using an existing saddle stand as a guide... Tyler and Cami have longer legs than Ellowyne, so the tube needs to be about 5mm shorter for Ell. (I had to cut some of my tubes down after I'd made the darned stands because they were too long for Prudence, whom I was using as a model, as well as my lovely Tyler below. Awkward. Very. At least the wire comes out easily.)

Cutting the tube is a pain. My saw is cheap and cheerful, and I had to cut a bit, turn the tube, cut a bit more, until my saw marks met.  I sanded off the rough edges with a bit of fine grit abrasive paper.
There's two coasters to each stand. The top coaster has a hole drilled in it, just the size of the brass tube.  The holes are not central. I placed them to the side of centre, similar to the stand bases you get with these dolls. The un-drilled bottom coaster is glued on, and the rod sits in the hole.  I secured mine in its hole with superglue.

Then you cut about 10"- 11" of wire, and fold it in half, press the fold point with pliers so it fits into the tube.  Feed it into the tube.   Make a couple of loops with round nosed pliers to finish off the raw ends.

Lastly, I put a dab of superglue at the fork of the wire (see the second picture below) and wrapped thread around the wire, just to keep it together.  You don't need to tie knots, just dab a little superglu on after you've wound the thread, and wind a bit more. It dries quickly, and you can snip the thread ends away.

And voila, you have a cheap doll stand.   Mine cost me about £3.50 per stand.

They're not beautiful objects, but they're neat enough, and I may use some polymer clay, or Milliput to make a proper saddle for the doll's, undercarriage. A soft clay can be modelled around the wire, and sanded down afterwards.

They do the job well enough - and are height-adjustable.  I like to have my dolls on stands on the shelves, so I can reach for one to dress and photograph.

Here's a close up of the thread wrapping. It doesn't need to be uber strong, but then it's surprising how strong several layers of thread are.

So that's that,  I'll try to post some kind of tutorial if I make more, but they're really easy to make and you can get the idea from the pictures.

They can of course be decorated any way at all. I'm considering gluing ribbon around the bases, to hide the seam where the two wood circles are glued together.



  1. I love how you come up with all these things! Great idea. What about using Washi tape to hide the seam might be a bit less fiddly than glue and ribbon!

    1. :) I keep thinking how I can't afford things and can I make them, lol. Hmm, washi tape sounds okay, but it's still tape, and wouldn't be as well-fixed as glued ribbon... and I can't find any designs I like!


Sorry, I have had so many spammy comments that I need to moderate all of them. I will get to approving your comment just as soon as I can.